Where Does It Go?
Green Dumpster: Paper and Cardboard Recycling including newspaper, pizza boxes, cereal boxes, and paper egg cartons. Empty and flatten all boxes and cartons.
Blue Dumpster: Household bio-waste (diapers, bandages, hygiene products, pet litter) and other general household items not on the restricted list and not recyclable.
|Green Compost Bins||Blue Recycling Bins||Grey & Black Bins|
|Food Waste of all types
Raw or Cooked, incl
Meat & Bones,
Eggshells, FishFood Soiled Paper, incl
Paper Table Napkins
|Note all items are to be empty and rinsed out. Flatten large items like milk jugs and remove lids.
|Bins are identified with signage above each bin. Materials are to be empty and generally free from food, oils and blood.
• Soft Plastic Bags, incl bubble wrap, cereal bags, cellophane & plastic wrap. Hard plastic liners go into Blue Bins.
The following items should not be placed in the blue household waste dumpster. With the exception of items noted ?, you must make private arrangements and payment to have the following items removed from your property.
– any recyclable item listed in our recyclable pick up program: ? see recycling table above.
– aggregrate: Victoria Gravel Mart 2516 Pleasant St, Victoria Materials Depot 343 Bay St
– asphalt: Capital City Paving 740 Industrial Way, Victoria Materials Depot 343 Bay St
– automotive or lubricating oil, filters & containers: Canadian Tire, 1519 Admirals Rd
– biomedical waste: refer to Hartland Landfill website
– building materials and renovation waste: http://www.myrecyclopedia.ca/items/index.aspx
– clean soil, rocks: Victoria Gravel Mart 2516 Pleasant St, Victoria Materials Depot 343 Bay St
– clothing and other fabrics suitable for reuse: Big Bros & Sisters, Cdn Diabetes Assoc, WIN Thrift, etc.
– concrete: Victoria Gravel Mart 2516 Pleasant St, Victoria Materials Depot 343 Bay St
– corrugated cardboard: ? Green Dumpster
– directories: ? Green Dumpster
– drywall: Ellice Recycle 516 David St, Hartland Refuse #1 Hartland Ave
– electronics: Encorp Return-it centres, 935 Ellery St., 655 Queens Ave.
– fluorescent bulbs & tubes: London Drugs Tillicum Mall / 911 Yates St, Canadian Tire 1519 Admirals Rd
– furniture: WIN Thrift Store Cook St, Salavation Army Recycling Quadra St, St.Vincent de Paul Craigflower Rd
– hazardous wastes: Hartland Recycle #1 Hartland Ave
– ignitable wastes, solvents, gasoline: Ellice Recycle 516 David St, Hartland Recycle #1 Hartland Ave
– kitchen scraps: ? Green Compost Bins
– lead acid batteries: Battery Direct 791 Cave St, Steel Pacific 307 David St, Canadian Tire, Ellice Recycle
– mattresses and box springs: Ellice Recycle 516 David St, Hartland Recycle #1 Hartland Ave
– mixed paper: ? Green Dumpster
– motor vehicle bodies, farm implements: Steel Pacific, Brentwood Auto & Metal 7481 W. Saanich Rd
– newspapers: ? Green Dumpster
– paint: Baywest RONA Hardware 220 Bay St., Ellice Recycle 516 David St
– PCBs: Hartland Recycle #1 Hartland Ave
– pesticides, insecticides: Ellice Recycle 516 David St, Hartland Recycle #1 Hartland Ave
– pharmaceuticals: http://www.healthsteward.ca/returns/british-columbia
– propane tanks: Ellice Recycle 516 David St, Hartland Recycle #1 Hartland Ave
– radioactive wastes
– reactive wastes
– scrap metal Steel: Pacific 307 David St, Ellice Recycle 516 David St
– sharps: refer to Hartland Landfill website
– special waste: refer to Hartland Landfill website
– thermostats with mercury: Andrew Sheret Ltd. 740 Hillside Ave. / EMCO 550 Culduthel Rd
– tires: http://www.tirestewardshipbc.ca/pickupdropoff.php
– waste that is on fire or smouldering
– white goods (large appliances): Habitat for Humanity’s Restore 849 Orono Ave, Steel Pacific, Ellice Recycle
– yard and garden waste: ? Green Compost Bins
Not all items mentioned above are outright banned from Hartland Landfill. For an up to date list of banned items visit: http://www.crd.bc.ca/waste/hartland/prohibited.htm